That was exactly what plus size model Ashley Graham had to say! Imagine a sports magazine such as Sports Illustrated known for always targeting men for its cover. And the cover just shouted that Ashley Graham is beautiful.
While it received a lot of positive response such as “plus is equal” but a lot of negative backlash as well.
- “I don’t like that we’re talking about full-figured women because it’s glamorizing them because your waist should be smaller than 35 [inches]” – Cheryl Tiegs.
- “No, I don’t think it’s healthy. Her face is beautiful. Beautiful. But I don’t think it’s healthy in the long run.”
- And vblogger Nicole Arbour, released another video directly targeting Graham.
While Graham stunned every one by looking stunning at the Oscar Vanity Fair and Teigs apology will shut this controversy but I want to talk of something different.
We say live and let live, accept people the way they feel comfortable then why this backlash. Fortunately, we in India do not have to face this kind of situation. We know a lot of plus size women who have a prominent space in the society and great admiration. Here is my list of the prominent ones J
- Smriti Irani – India’s Union Minister for Human Resource Development is a woman of substance. Standing tall she has taken both appreciation and flak alike. After winning hearts of every household as the ideal “bahu” she on the political front had the courage to fight against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi.
- Farah Khan – A die heart movie buff, a choreographer, producer, director, chat show host and a mother of three she is unstoppable. Did you know she has choreographed Shakira and Kylie Minogue in the past?
- Vidya Balan – Strong, confident and stylish Vidya has come a long way to establish herself in the film industry. He got in an era of Bollywood hit sans a hero and was loved for her powerful performances.
- Bharti Singh – Did you know Bharti is a gold medalist in pistol shooting and archery at the national level? Another house hold name with superb sense of humor Bharti is the sole flag bearer in stand-up comedy.
- Usha Uthup – the powerpack personality of Usha changed the playback scene from shrill girly voices to a sultrier, husky voice. She brought in disco, pop and retro genre to Bollywood.
There are many more like Kiron Kher, Sonakshi Sinha or Huma Qureshi who have made their mark in respective fields. All these live examples just go on to show that success and acceptance has nothing to do with how you look but what you are.